The Next Voices for Progress PresidentApplications due January 15, 2017
An Announcement from Voices for Progress Board of Directors
We have been privileged to work as fellow board members with Voices for Progress founder and current president, Sandy Newman, and a dedicated team of members and staff to build Voices for Progress into a strong network of philanthropists, business owners, and other leaders who work together to advance policies that prevent climate catastrophe, promote a fair economy, and an inclusive democracy. V4P is now a dynamic, growing organization with real, progressive impact that has filled a critical hole in progressive infrastructure.
Sandy has decided that V4P is now ready for new leadership to take it to its next level of even greater impact. While we will be sorry to see Sandy leave his current role, we are pleased that he will continue to stay on until the next outstanding leader is ready to take the reins, to continue developing Voices to have an even greater impact.
As noted in the job description below, applicants should contact Susan Osnos at email@example.com
Bob Bowditch Carl Pope
Joan Huffer Leslie Samuelrich
Gara LaMarche Faye Straus
Job Description of the President
Voices for Progress (V4P) is an advocacy organization composed of influential individuals, working together to prevent climate catastrophe, promote economic opportunity, and protect the rights of minorities, women and of democracy for all. Its members include philanthropists, business owners, and other leaders, who have together contributed tens of millions of dollars to election campaigns, and who raise much more. Voices for Progress seeks a President who will build on this foundation and adapt to a new and challenging political environment.
We leverage members’ knowledge and influence to advocate effectively on behalf of the people who lack such opportunity — building a counterweight against the many wealthy people and corporations who use their access to lobby for their narrow self-interests.
Voices for Progress staff enlist members, provide timely information about policy developments, and coordinate members’ meetings and conversations directly with policy-makers. As the only organization enlisting and educating such influential constituencies to advocate similar positions across multiple issue silos, V4P continues to expand the corps of people willing to speak out on these and other principles.
Voices for Progress Education Fund (legally a 501(c)(3) Project of Tides Center) and Voices for Progress (legally a 501(c)(4) project of The Advocacy Fund) have a national office staff of ten, plus a California State Director and associate. Financial support comes primarily from members. Though its work has until now focused on federal policy, the California office also works on state as well as federal policy. Building a more robust state policy advocacy capacity, including the possible addition of new offices, will be challenges for the new President, as V4P grows.
While V4P is committed over the long term to spending roughly half its advocacy efforts on climate change, that portion will vary from year to year depending on threats and opportunities. For the next several years, its priorities will reflect the need for policy advocacy that builds the power of those who seek to advance our values and policies in future years.
The president will be a person with demonstrated leadership abilities, and a vision for both the policies we want to achieve and the strategies that will enable V4P to advance those goals. The president reports directly to the Voices for Progress Board.
The president will:
- Chart a path to expand impact through a combination of membership growth, state policy advocacy, new kinds of members, or other strategies.
- Build strong relationships with V4P members.
- Build strong relationships with the top leadership of other organizations, in order to develop strategies for the broader advocacy community overall.
- Present V4P’s budget for board approval, and assure that the organization meets revenue and growth objectives.
- Supervise key staff.
- In consultation with the senior team, set priorities for allocating advocacy resources among issues, and develop plans and advocacy strategies.
- Ten or more years experience in a combination of policy advocacy, organizing, fundraising, and leadership, with significant experience in each.
- Major donor fundraising, preferably as a principal, including separate contributions of over $25,000. Additional experience in foundation fundraising preferred.
- Management experience.
- Strategic planning.
Other Qualifications Required:
- Broad understanding of federal policy issues, the legislative process, and national politics.
- Deep commitment to combating climate change, increasing economic opportunity, and strengthening democracy.
- Charismatic leader who can attract major political donors and maintain productive relationships with them.
- Ability to motivate, engage and inspire staff.
- Understand political campaigns and donor/candidate relationships.
- Excellent writer and speaker, who can represent V4P well in interviews and public speaking opportunities.
Additional Qualifications preferred
- Personal relationships with major individual political and philanthropic donors, elected officials, business leaders, and others most likely to advance our goals.
- Strong relationships with allies within the progressive advocacy community.
- Positive relationships on Capitol Hill and in political circles.
- Experience/aptitude in formulating political and message strategy.
- Familiarity with differences between 501(c)(3) and 501(c)(4) organizations, as well as PACs.
Salary and Benefits:
Voices for Progress provides excellent benefits, including a 401K, full medical, dental, vision and life insurance (Eligible on the 1st of the month after 30 days of employment). Salary is commensurate with experience.
Applicants should email firstname.lastname@example.org and must include a cover letter, resume, an unedited writing sample and salary requirements by January 15, 2017. Email MUST reference “V4P President” position in the subject line. No calls, please.
Voices for Progress seeks to recruit, develop, and retain the most talented people from a diverse candidate pool in the belief that employees from diverse backgrounds and experience are critical to achieving our goals.