HR, Finance, and Administrative Associate
Voices for Progress Education Fund
A Project of Tides Center
Job Title: HR, Finance, and Administrative Associate
Reports to: Director of HR, Finance and Administration
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Voices for Progress (V4P) galvanizes the advocacy of business leaders, entrepreneurs, philanthropists, and other invested individuals who unite to champion a healthy climate and environment, strengthen our democracy, and ensure economic and social justice for all. V4P staff equip members with policy information and opportunities to personally advocate through one-on-one outreach, at campaign trail events, Capitol summits, sign-on letters, and more.
V4P members recognize that they have an unusual amount of access to policymakers and that their views are sometimes given increased weight. Understanding this and believing our democracy shouldn’t work that way, they use their positions to ally with, and amplify the concerns and solutions put forward by, historically marginalized communities. V4P members believe that the communities closest to the problems are closest to the solutions, whether regarding criminal justice reform, pay discrimination, or environmental justice. Simultaneously, V4P members advocate for strong campaign finance reform to lessen their own influence and voting projections to give a more equal voice to all communities
V4P was founded in 2010 and has an annual budget of 2 million dollars. Our 14 staff are based in Washington, D.C., Los Angeles, Sacramento, and New York. Our work is currently focused on federal and CA state policy and politics. Advocacy priorities have included economic inequality, budget and tax policy, health care access, climate change, immigration reform, voting rights, criminal justice reform, gender equality, campaign finance reform, judicial nominations, environmental justice, and more.
The HR, Finance, and Administrative Associate will be part of the HR, Finance, and Administration team. This position will assist with finance and human resources functions for the organization, as well as handling office management and other administrative functions for V4P locations. This position will also provide administrative support to the V4P President. This position is a non-exempt position and reports to the Director of HR, Finance, and Administration.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Assist the Director of HR, Finance and Administration with finance responsibilities such as generating revenue/expense reports, creation of the annual organizational budget, etc.
- Receive and track contributions, ensuring they arrive to the organization’s fiscal sponsor for processing.
- Communicate with fiscal sponsor when Membership staff have questions regarding contributions received or need information for grant reports or related items.
- Process invoices and staff reimbursements in conjunction with organization’s fiscal sponsor to ensure they are paid on time.
- Coordinate recruitment of new employees and interns by facilitating approval of job description, posting jobs online, disseminating to allies, etc.
- Assist with employee hiring by coordinating resume review, interview rounds, reference checks, etc.
- Support supervisors in onboarding new staff, and conduct orientation for new staff on HR, administrative, and other organization-wide processes.
- Help identify appropriate trainings for staff and manage logistics of internal employee trainings.
- Liaise with fiscal sponsor on staff questions and adjustments regarding benefits and payroll.
- Coordinate the planning for staff activities such as the staff retreat, staff social events, acknowledgement of staff anniversaries, and other forms of employee engagement.
Administration and Operations
- Participate in the planning of organizational advocacy events by coordinating supplies and logistics, including with external contractors. Assist Director of HR, Finance, and Administration with other external contractor relations.
- Facilitate organization’s technology strategy, including liaising with external IT consultant when staff have IT concerns, research software/hardware options, maintain email system and file retention, etc.
- Coordinate the review and signing of all contracts by organization’s fiscal sponsor and reporting of staff time spent on lobbying and political activities to fiscal sponsor.
- Maintain office operations by managing office supplies and the appearance of the national office. Play a key role in office relocations. Support similar needs in other V4P locations. Staff the reception desk, answer the main office phone, and greet visitors.
- Coordinate scheduling for specified activities, such as reception coverage, kitchen maintenance, weekly staff meeting, other items as needed, etc.
- Support Board of Directors by scheduling meetings; coordinating the compilation of materials for meetings; managing all logistical aspects of the meetings and taking meeting minutes.
- Compile and submit expense reports for designated staff.
- Coordinate the calendar of the V4P President by scheduling meetings and coordinating needed materials or other arrangements for meetings.
- Plan travel for the V4P President by booking flights, hotels, rental cars, meeting locations, and any other necessary accommodations during trips.
OTHER DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provide additional clerical and administrative support to the President, Director of HR, Finance, and Administration, and Board of Directors as needed.
- General office and administrative management tasks that come with being a part of a small, start-up operation.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- College degree or relevant experience in lieu of degree.
- At least two years’ experience in non-profit finance, human resources, and/or administration.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Excellent attention to detail and organizational abilities.
- Very strong computer skills, and willingness to learn new software as needed. Competency with Microsoft Office (particularly Excel) and Google Suite required. Experience with accounting databases, HR software and/or Salesforce preferred.
- Professional demeanor and good interpersonal skills.
- Responsible, flexible, hard-working, ethical, and committed to the organization’s mission.
- Excellent problem-solver who goes above and beyond to find solutions.
- Proactive, quick learner, and takes initiative on projects.
- A team player who collaborates well with others and can be flexible about urgent assignments.
- Interest in current events, politics, and progressive policy issues.
- COVID 19 considerations: Currently, all V4P staff are temporarily working remotely. Based in Washington, D.C.
- Reports to the Director of HR, Finance, and Administration based in Washington, D.C.
- Assists the President based in Los Angeles and Washington, D.C.
- Coordinates closely with the Membership Growth staff based in Washington, D.C.
- Salary commensurate with experience (From 43K +)
- Generous benefits, including full medical, dental, vision and life insurance at $1/month.
- 13 federal holidays and one floating holiday per year.
- 12 days’ vacation and 13 days sick leave
- Retirement savings account immediately vested with generous employer contributions.
- Pre-tax public transit/parking, childcare, flexible spending account options.
- Position meets requirements for federal public service loan forgiveness.
Please submit a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org by September 30, 2021.
Please include “HR, Finance, Administration” in the subject line and indicate where you saw the job posting in the text of the email. Due to the volume of applicants, we will only contact applicants whose skill sets, and experience meet our needs.
Voices for Progress Education Fund, a project of Tides Center, is an “at-will” and equal opportunity employer.
V4P is committed to a diverse staff and to an inclusive culture that holds equity as a value and a priority. V4P welcomes applicants who bring a variety of perspectives, experiences, and competencies. People of color, women, people with disabilities, and LGBTQIA+ persons are strongly encouraged to apply. V4P is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate based on race, creed, color, religion, ethnicity, national origin, party or political affiliation, sex, sexual orientation or gender identity, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, or any illegal or prohibited factor.